Ask for an early years premises /environment check including the playground, to be undertaken by your QTVI or habilitation officer to ensure the premises are accessible for a vision impaired child.
- Outline step edges in yellow
- Highlight pillars and other hazards and ensure highlighting is near eye level
- Provide handrails on both sides of stairs
- Provide controllable lighting and blinds at windows
- Lights should not be turned off in areas of only occasional use
- Be mindful of securing trip hazards – e.g. computer cables