A helping hand with taxes

Did you know that RNIB has a tax team that supports blind and partially sighted people with tax, tax credits and HMRC issues across the UK?

The team, based in Liverpool, is supported by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). Mark Rogerson from RNIB’s Tax Advice Service told us how the team makes a difference to the lives of blind and partially people.

We make tax and HMRC issues clearer

We help people to claim extra tax allowances, such as Blind Person’s Allowance and Marriage Allowance, which can reduce your tax bill and these can be transferred and backdated. Our tax service is free, confidential and available to people with sight loss, regardless of their age or income. We can arrange help with form-filling, completing your tax return, claiming a tax refund and resolving problems. We also advise customers about which products and building work are VAT-free, saving them more money.

Since the service started in 2011, we’ve helped over 34,000 people, identified £3 million in extra tax allowances and tax credits.

We make sure people feel supported

We have access to a dedicated team within HMRC for people who need extra help with their tax and tax credits. We help customers who are unable to speak to HMRC directly because of hearing loss, dementia or living in a care home. We also have a fact sheet in different formats with information on tax allowances and useful contacts.

We help customers to use HMRC’s online services

HMRC have introduced the Personal Tax Account, which allows you to manage your affairs with HMRC online, similar to an online bank account, but for tax. But if you can’t get online or the issue is more complex, we can help arrange for an adviser at HMRC to come to your home or meet you at a local venue. It’s about making sure blind and partially sighted people are supported in all their tax-related queries.

You can contact RNIB’s tax team by telephone on 0345 330 4897, emailing [email protected] or to find out more about the service visit rnib.org.uk/tax

The picture shows Mark Rogerson – RNIB Tax Advice Service

You Might Also Like