Emotional support

The Local Offer

Consult your Local Offer website for your local authority to find local services in this area.


RNIB Emotional Support Service (ESS) offers a confidential, free phone-based counselling service for young people from 11 upwards.  Email ess@rnib.org.uk or call RNIB’s Helpline on 0303 123 9999 (and ask to be referred to theEmotional Support Service)

RNIB Emotional support for parents and carers of vision impaired children

If parents or carers would like to access the service, contact RNIB regarding self-referral on the helpline 0303 123 9999.

RNIB Online Counselling for over 18s

RNIB provides an online counselling service for visually impaired people aged over 18. It provides counselling through email, instant messaging and video conferencing. Sight loss counselling team counsellors are members of The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).  The referral form for this type of counselling can be accessed through this link.

BACP – The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy

The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy is the professional association for members of the counselling professions in the U.K.

01455 883 300 (general enquiries)

Find a therapist on the BACP register. The website also has useful documents key facts and information sheets on what counsellors and psychotherapists do as well as advice on how to get the most out of the sessions.

CAMHS – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services

CAMHS is used as a term for all services that work with children and young people who have difficulties with their emotional or behavioural wellbeing.  Local areas have a number of different support services available. These might be from the statutory, voluntary or school-based sector, such as an NHS trust, local authority, school or charitable organisation.

Children and young people may need help with a wide range of issues at different points in their lives. Parents and carers may also need help and advice to deal with behavioural or other problems their child is experiencing. Parents, carers and young people can receive direct support through CAMHS.

The Young Minds website has a beginner’s guide to CAMHS for young people and parents.


Understanding Depression and Low Mood in Young People – free online course for parents

The course from The Council for Disabled Children and Reading University has been created for parents of young people with depression and low mood, teachers and primary (or other healthcare professionals who play a role in detecting mental health difficulties and offering appropriate support and guidance to young people.



Place2Be is a UK children’s mental health charity providing in-school support and expert training to improve the emotional wellbeing of pupils, families, teachers and school staff.
Phone: 0207 923 5500

Some centres have young people counsellors. Head office can make a search.
Phone: 0300 100 1234.

Positive Eye


Strengths Cards £22.00

Children and young people with vision impairments sometimes find it difficult to identify strengths they have, especially if they are adapting to sight loss or if they are undergoing a transition of some kind (e.g. transition to college or work) which will potentially put them in a situation where they may feel at a disadvantage. These strengths cards have been adapted from a Children’s Strength Survey (Dahlsgaard, 2003) developed in the USA but here they have been adapted for use with CYPVI in the UK.